Archives for category: General Assembly

Beginning of Meeting:

Facilitator: Tovia

Stack: Ben

Notes: Martin

We started off discussing privilege because it had been previously decided that each week would begin with someone talking about privilege and that everyone needs to remember to actively check their privilege, and showed that there is a hand signal if someone isn’t.  (two fingers, together held horizontally)

Review of hand signals.

Introductions (everyone at GA say their name)

Request for Agenda topics

  1. Discussion of occufest and its future
  2. Discussion of dewey sq. reoccupation (whos going? Plan?)
  3. Offer/Request from Occupy Worcester to do 99% Spring Training at Clark/in clark facilities

First Agenda Topic:

1)      Occufest

  1. 1st on stack: thought that the last occufest went really well. Said there was a mic check on the green and that though it didn’t bring people over, they thought it was good they did it. The think occufest is good to keep our presence up, to let people know we are still there and that its good for group bonding.
  2. 2nd on stack said that the mic check wasn’t bad that was done, but that a larger mic check should be done to more of campus before the Friday event, whether it is occupy or not.

i.      **Proposal to mic check campus before Friday events.

  1. Passed with consensus
  2. 3rd on stack says that its been successful so far, that we just need to do things right and well not necessarily to get more people. Not getting people isn’t failing, that its fun and good bonding for the group and good to do something outside the Gas
  3. 4th on stack says that the apartheid wall brought people and that we should do something else to get peoples attention like that.
  4. 5th on stack says that tis a good bonding experience but we should try to draw people in. sitting in a circle under a tent might not be making the group approachable, agrees that not bringing people in isn’t failure, but still thinks the point is to try and reach more people. We should be able to get more people at a school like clark.
  5. 6th on stack says that we should do weekly emails not just send out stuff on facebook incase people don’t have it.
  6. 7th on stack says that tis good for bonding but we need to go somewhere with the discussions. Its hard to talk to people that don’t have the same views or experience that we do, and that we need to find a polite, non-condescending way to discuss opposing views. We need to actively create conversation that can go somewhere.
  7. 8th person on stack said that the group should create large displays of specific topics so that we can draw people in
  8. 9th person says we should pick out a discussion point and do mic checks about specific topics to bring attention
  9. 10th on stack says that it’s a good idea to do something different. Its good to do solidarity work like we did with the Palestinian group. We should come up with something similar for the future.  Maybe try to interact with the people out there a little more, like giving them all a flag that is representative of some statistic and then getting them to stand up so that they can visually see the statistic we are trying to represent.
  10. 11th on stack says that we should ask permission from people before forcing them to participate.
  11. 12th on stack says that the movement is obviously trying to raise awareness about income inequality but that we should focus on topics that are more relevant to college students.
  12. 13th on stack says we should do something for earth day, give something out about it…make it interactive.
  13. 14th on stack says we should do occufest in nice weather.
  14. 15th on stack says we should do some sort of action every Friday, maybe in UC or elsewhere.

i.      **Proposal: we do some sort of action every Friday at the regular time. Good weather it is outside. Bad weather in the UC. Good weather is 60 and above and sunny, bad weather is below sixty or rainy.

  1. PASSED with consensus
  2. 16th on stack says we should go pick up trash or something like that to show people we don’t just sit around and talk and that we are actually about doing active things as well.

i.      **Proposal: we should do some sort of active work for the community/physical every week to show that we are doing, not just saying.

  1. PASSED with consensus
  2. 17th on stack says we shouldn’t always call it Occufest because that takes away from its uniqueness as an event.

i.      **Proposal: we should call Occufest something different if we are going to do it each week. (Name not decided because there were no suggestions)

  1. PASSED with consensus
  2. 18th on stack says we should do specific occufest

i.      **Proposal: we have Occufest again the Friday after this coming Friday, at the regular time for Friday events, pick a specific topic to focus on and call it something unique (example: occupy the environment, which would focus on environmental issues), pick a group interactive activity and do something physical in the community. Prior to the event the campus will be mic checked at multiple locations.

  1. PASSED with consensus

_________Stack Closed_______

Second Agenda Topic:

2)      Dewey Sq. in Boston this Sunday

  1. Ben wanted to know if anyone would be going. Martin said he would be and that anyone who wanted to go should go in the car with him.

_________Discussion Closed____________

Third Agenda Topic

3)      99% spring Training

  1. Tovia gave us information on the training. Said that Worcester would like someone with the ability at Clark to book a multi-media room. The event would include 2 parts. Part 1 is informational what the topics/values/grievences of OWS are now and talking about it. Part 2 is trainings on things like DA, non-violence, street medics, legal observers etc.

i.      **Proposal: We want to book a room for Occupy Worcester to hold the 99% spring training event. Leila will be in charge of booking the room, and that it will most likely happen on two separate days and will happen between the 9th-15th of April.

  1. PASSED with 100% consensus

 

 

OCCUPY WORCESTER

  • Earth day- March/teach-in in tandem with REC?
  • Where do we want to put our efforts?
    • Overstressing ourselves?
    • Stick to $ and coporations?
    • Worcester GA consensus “we should be careful of brand dillusion” → focus on corporations
    • local and specific examples -NEED A RESEARCH GROUP
      • ex: Nixon’s EPA 1970s regulations of waste and purported benefits of those actions, largest sources of climate change: factory farming, Canadian tar sands pipeline makes this worse
  • Activism + Outreach working group
    • contacting other organizations that have this idea
  • possible panel on deregulation of laws

CONVERSATION TABLED UNTIL WE DECIDE WHAT OCCUPY CLARK’S RELATIONSHIP WIH OCCUPY WORCESTER IS

OCCUPY WORCESTER + OCCUPY CLARK RELATIONSHIP

PROPOSAL: Officially being a working group of Occupy Worcester PASSED

    • raising awareness and numbers at Clark- keeping our individual voices involved

PROPOSAL: Once a week Clark students will be at Worcester GA: walking schedule PASSED

    • meet half an hour early outside Atwood to get there (530 Thurs, 1230 Sun)

PROPOSAL: Every Friday have a presence in Red Square with fliers and other literature that comes from Media Working Groups, have cardboard signs, keep theme neutral unless something has happened recently. PASSED

MARCH 17 -SPRING RENEWAL OCCUPY EVENT

  • parade is March 11- worcester GA divided abt support

PROPOSAL: Rather than participating in March 11 parade, we are going to have a sort of carnival instead. It will be mostly locally focused, and have games that relate to economy (debt bubble pinata, etc)

 

WEBSITE- LONG VERSION POSTED ON CLARK FB

 

APRIL 21-TEACH ANYTHING DAY

DISCUSSION TABLED due to time constraints

Facilitators: Lily Chaleff and Leila Counihan

Stack: Spencer Mewherter

  • Check-in
  • Going over Consensus
  • Announcements
    • Occupy Worcester GAs every Thursday at 6:00pm and every Sunday at 1pm, Location varies
    • Saturday January 21, 2012 Worcester Free School – Worcester City Government 101 at Woo Church 1pm
    • Media Working Group After GA
    • Outreach/Activism Working group meeting Thursday 7:30 usually in the AC but this week at the community dinner at Moynihans
    • Series of Panels with local organizations in Worcester being organized by Peaceworks
    • Difficult Dialogues about Occupy coming up this semester

Agenda Points

  • Working groups
  • Panel
  • March 1st/ May 1st – Upcoming Events
  • Meeting Time

Working Groups

  • Anyone interested in the Media Working Group contact Lily Chaleff or Ross Glover
  • Activism/Outreach Working Groupcontact Leila Counihan
    • Has reached out to Epoca, Stonewall Democrats, Stone Soup, Worcester Routs, Worcester Time Trade, The Journalist
    • Meeting tomorrow at Community Dinner at Moynihans at 7:30
    • Discussion of working on a group newsletter
    • Proposal: Ailey will consult with members of The Citizen to see if theya re willing to join forces with Occupy Clark to make a newsletter PASSED
    • Possible Working Group for Outreach to start official Occupy Clark club, regular tabling and flyering
    • Proposal: Outreach Group will have consistent mic checks at Clark cafeteria at different times throughout day about information concerning Occupy Clark and Occupy Worcester’s meetings/events PASSED with Friendly Amendment Below

Friendly Amendment: Occupy Clark is its own outreach group so Occupy Clark will have consistent mic checks

  • Proposal: Create Occupy Clark official Clark undergraduate club [Ailey spearheading this]
  • Occupy Clark is a working group of Occupy Worcester

Panels

  • Possible panels with Epoca, Stone Soup, WAFT and AIDS Project Worcester and others to follow the format of previous arrested students panel
  • Open to suggestions of other organizations to include – contact Spencer Mewherter or Alina Michelewicz with other suggestions
  • May need advertising help in future and may involve Occupy on panels also
  • Discussion of focus of panels tabled for when there is more information

Upcoming Events

  • Occupy colleges put out the date of March 1st for actions
  • Possible connection with other schools
  • Idea for Spring Renewal Event

Time 9:50 –  Proposal to extend meeting by 20 minutes

  • Possible days for Spring Renewal: March 1st, May 1st
  • May Day may be problematic because of other planned events and near the end of the semester
  • March 17th because Spring break is over – also there is a big parade in Worcester
  • February 26th for earlier date
  • Possibility to do both march 17th and February 26th
  • Ideas:
    • Community event – college solidarity
    • Celebration of occupy, what Occupy has done
    • February on campus and March off campus
    • Food, visually interesting
    • Non-March festival with teach in and general info
    • Tents with free school
    • Proposal: reserve green for February 26th Friendly Amendment: reserve green for both days (Feb 26th and  March 17th) and look into parade route PASSED
    • Message for events – Discussion – At the end in a go around

Table Discussion about 9pm Wednesday meeting time

NEXT MEETING – WED 25TH 9PM IN THE AC

Check out with Discussion of event ideas:

  • Use events in Worcester – Remain visible
  • Consensus education
  • Specific message
  • Where are we going, big picture focus
  • Get more people, high schools?
  • Fun events Occupy Clark culture/community
  • Outreach concern, music/bands
  • Jess Loomis can help with visual aids
  • Increase visibility, fun events, not necessarily Occupy events, more casual
  • Community events and outreach, music, food
  • Celebration, not just logistics in meetings
  • Goals of group and goals for world and self in meetings