Archives for category: Uncategorized

OCCUPY GA 3/21/12

PROPOSALS THAT WERE PASSED:

  • have another Occufest on March 23rd
  • book swap
  • “easy up” with fliers
  • chalk and drum circles
  • food
  • This resolution includes talking to admin? NO
  • Cooking time in Wright at 12:20 on Friday call 610-772-1255
  • have a hand signal for when someone feels that another individual is not checking their own privilege: (sign language for the letter ‘p’),
  • start each GA with an announcement about privilege
  • form an affinity group to talk about Reoccupation on April 1, so long as all people who want to be involved are kept in the loop
  • boston will be re-occupying Dewey Square
  • could possibly be jailed for 48 hrs
  • need legal observers: people who take photos, keep track of time of arrest, brutality etc.
  • need to have a discussion of ‘what if’ scenarios

Facilitator: Ailey
Notes: Lily
Stack: Leila

– Introduce process 
– Introductions and Announcements

  • Take Back the Night, Thurs, March 1

Agenda 
Agency, Clark Styke
Take Back the Night
Womans Cacus
March 16th event
Direct Action
Conversation on Privledge
Creating Space for Workers

Take Back the Night
It is an event tin response to the recent assult at Clark. 
Proposal to officially endorse the event in media and physical presnce- passed
Proposal to hold a sign that has a statement that Occupy Clark supports it

Stack:

  • Some say yes, it is important value of Occupy Clark
  • Others say it might be seen as too controversial/ politically taking advantage of situation

Consensed upon having the words Occupy Clark on a sign in a general way that shows support of situation but does not make it about Occupy Clark . Those who are at the event will decided on the words at the time – passed 

Agency, Clark Style
A Difficult Dialogues event to bring together all acitist groups on campus to conenct and share what they are doing

Propsal to endorse event and have people attend to represent Occupy Clark – passed

Woman’s Cacus
– It will be an affinitly group of Occupy Worcester
– It will discuss issues concerning women, gender, sexuality

March 16th Event
Update on current planning:
– Green booked 1-5, 2nd floor Atwood booked 5-7
– We will bring blankets and signs out onto green to define a space
– Event is collectively made: potluck, musical instruments, book swap
– There will also be face paint, sign making, Discussion of future of Occupy

Open stack for more ideas:

  • Have statistics/ posters of statistics
  • Tents
  • Info
  • Explain how objectives of Occupy effect people
  • Have big charts with headings “what is occupy” “what do you want occupy to be?” for people to fill in

Direct Action
We should plan something, let’s brainstorm

Stack Opened

  • Protest corporations, Sodexo
  • Work with existing groups on their focuses in Worcester
  • Target inland port in Worcester
  • Coordinate with Occupy Boston on Port Blockade
  • Worker Solidarity

                have working group
                safe location off campus to meet
                create dialogue

  • Door-to-Door flyering

                could be invasive
                should be a two-way education experience
                flyering for an event will be more productive way to approach people and talk

  • Target old coal power plants
  • Protest UP at Friday protests (contributed by an anonymus source)
  • have many DA stratefies
  • Hold multiple meetings with Clark workers
  • Community Clean-Ups
  • Have list of pre-arranged topics that effect different people

– List tabled to go through at next GA
– Ailey proposed to take idea about flyering to Occupy Worcester GA – passed  

Conversations on Privledge
We should set aside time (5-10mins)  to talk about privledge at the begining of GAs

Stack Opened

  • make the conversation a broader topic
  • have conversation at the end of GAs
  • have conversation be book-ends of GA
  • Is it possible to have a conversation like this in 5-10 minutes in a meaningful way?
  • talk about rights: what are they? are they real?
  • we should do a trail run
  • we should hold a forum for these issues
  • simply state a reminder about privledge at the begining of each GA
  • say something about privledge during check-ins
  • set intention of space for GAs
  • write an official statement about the intention of challeneging privledge to read at each GA
  • Still have discussion
  • talk about issues on Fridays around protests in Red Square

Proposal: Start next GA by going around the circle and have everyone state their idea about the intention for the space of the GA – passed  

Creating space for workers tabled due to time.

Check-Outs
End with clapping

Facilitator: Casey
Note Taker: Lily
Bre: Stack

Agenda

Occupy Clark join Occupy Worcester for Earth Day event April 22, 2012
Labor Conference
Difficult Dialogues
March 17th
Friday Protests

Barry propose for Occupy Clark to join in with occupy Worcester on earth day events

Details of Event:

-Sunday April 22, 2012

-On the Worcester Commons

-deep green resistance

-toxic soil busters

-music

-food not bombs

-kids events

-rally and march

– as of now doing it without a permit, know risk of participation

-expect family friendly

– Chalk the city and flyer to get word out

-might be fundraiser

-going to make buttons

-bike powered smoothies by Scott

-Meet  Tuesdays at 12 at the Nu Café, Saturdays every other week at 11 at RAW Fitness

-would like Clark to do a teach in, make puppets, whatever creative minds come up with

-help Tovia write document about how corporations and environment relate

-if you know acoustic musicians who want to play

Stack:

– Possibly connect with Clark organizations

– Eco-Reps

– Clark Community Thrift Store

-Trading Circle

– Jenny Isler

– Leila might want women’s health table to talk about how the environment is so important in relation

– Clark Community Garden, Recycling center

– We should do outreach, get Clark students to go

– Have large meeting to tell Clark about to come and talk about planning and getting involved for this event

– Good idea to have prepared team to handle police interaction if it comes up

– Put it on the GO list

– Make facebook event

– Make Caf Slide

Proposal: Make affinity group of A1 steak sauce on OW to communicate online about the Event -passed

-Proposal: Ailey will make facebook event for Saturday meeting general interest meeting for planning event given current group approves this plan – passed

Labor Conference

– Prof Ross holding prestigious labor conference

– He is very in support of occupy

– We should have presence

– Could be autonomous or official occupy clark

– Sometime in April

– Possibly do some sort of presence/ protest/ signs to have presence there

Difficult Dialogues

-summary of event

-planning meeting feb. 24th

 – ask for more volunteers

March 17th

-announcement that we need to sit down and figure out planning meeting

-once we figure out planning meeting make event

– Proposal: 8:30PM Monday meeting to plan March 17th every Monday up to the event beginning on the 20th passed

Friday Protests

-talk about messages of signs

-talk about times

-we might want to specifically protest about doubling tuition rates

-what we want to comment on:

maybe don’t need specific issue, ask people what issues they want to talk about

-possibility of putting up tent: do we want tent to still be symbol or occupy?

-bring cardboard and sharpies

Talking about how to get people more involved who don’t want to be super involved/ plan logistics

-Tell people to like facebook group and post events

Announcement:
Friday at 8PM at the Shop – Rad movie night, Garbage Warrior

Check-Out

Meeting Closed

Facititaor – Bre
Note Taker – Lily
Stack – Tovia

Check-in/Update

Agenda:

Website 

-Nate and Yedi give description
-Viewing tabled to after meeting

March 17th

-Grind booked
Open stack for more ideas:

  • party/music in gring
  • partner w/ OW
  • hop on back of St. Patricks Day parade
  • Party in Elm Park
  • Protest in front of BOA
  • Not a good idea to go on back of parade because looks like we are protesting the wrong thing

Proposal: make a committee to research permit and day  passed

Proposal: protest at bank, followed by teach-in/ party on the Grind passed

Friday NDAA Protest

-mic check planning for Thursday
-Tabling – combine with WAFT tabling

Proposal: meet at 2:15 in Red Square to march  passed

Proposal: sign making part all day Thursday passed

-Invite OW through media

Code of Conduct

-club where all workers at Clark could talk
-meeting Sunday in Hughes at 7:30

Literature
open stack brainstorm ideas for literature about why students occupy

-list serve
-student loans
-average debt vs. people under poverty level
-% of rising tuition
-Trend- how much it could cost/have interest 10 yr projection)
-work study used to be about getting paid for doing work, now slave to university
-politics of loan – why it doesn’t work for everybody
-get salary info from faculty/ student loans/ financial aid

Update from Occupy Wall Street

Check-Out

Media Working Group Notes 12/2/11

 

Things to get done

-List serve

-Make presence known at GA: who is media? Send us notes

-Flyers

-T&G worker wants us to notify him of every and any event

 

List of things we are in charge of

–       Update calendar events – Lily

(consented upon making calendar have Worcester events)

–       Events on facebook – Ross

–       Look into online forum to discuss what is occupy clark – Kelly

–       Twitter – Ross, Lily

–       Occupy Together phone conference – Kelly

–       List Serve

–       Post minutes on the blog

 

Decisions

Next meeting: Monday at 8

Table getting a list serve

Make presence at GA, tell people to send stuff to email

 

Next meeting:

-plan for winter break

– student information flyer

 

Other things

-EPOCA come talk at Clark

Announcements & Passed Proposals

*Occupy GA at Clark in RED SQUARE at 4pm on SATURDAY  12/3/11 following the Worcester GA on

-To discuss and come to CONSENSUS on a physical outdoor occupation at Clark to include everyone/all interested in occupying including Worcester Occupants

*WAFT Blockade TOMORROW at City Hall starting at 10:30am

The blockade is at 25 Balis Ave.

*Womens March in Boston—detail on OccupyClark page

*Worcester Occupation is being evicted from Lincoln Ave the morning of Monday 12/5/11

*NAACP March on Dec. 10th starting at AUSTIN & MAIN ST. in Worcester at 10am

Protest to recognize racially charged issues in Worcester. There will be a rally to follow the March

*Poster making at 4pm on Friday in the Craft Studio

*Occupy Christmas Carolers practice Tomorrow at 7pm or following the Worcester General Assembly

Details on facebook

*Occupy GAs to be held at 9pm on Wednesday’s until Winter Break (new meeting time to be discussed if necessary following the 9pm GA on 1/18/12 following Clark student’s return from winter break)

*Outreach Working group will meet at 9pm on Mondays from now on

*Activism and Outreach Working Group focusing on Environmental Sustainability, Social Justice and Minority issues and Gender issues

First meeting to be on Thursday 11/8 at 9pm in the UC Commuter Lounge

GA Assembly Agenda Points and Discussion

Working Group Stack

Proposal to have Sustainability and Social Justice working groups PASSED BY CONSENSUS

Working group decided after the meeting to be called the Activism and Outreach working group (see above for details)

Proposal to have Minority Outreach Working Group PASSED BY CONSENSUS

Group decided after the GA to be combined into Activism and Outreach (see above)

Announcement to look at posted code of conduct document on Occupy Worcester and give feedback

Stack Closed on Working Groups

Occupy Worcester on Clark Campus Stack

——the following were stated opinions during stack—–

(forgive the generalization and summarization of the following….i don’t write fast enough)

*A physical occupation is a great tactic for outreach, but we need to remember how much time and sacrifice it takes

*If there is a physical occupation on Clark campus, there needs to be serious attention given to logistics and especially cleaning, organization, and sanitation.

*There is a lot of talk about not having a physical occupation at all but [speaker] believes that it is a great way to have everyone together to take part in direct action. It is a constant place for idea sharing and conversation. It provides a good place for meetings and logistics support

*An occupation here might be good to bring support from the rest of the campus and get people involved more heavily. It might also allow people to have a place to get information on whats going on and why/what we are doing. Worry is that the administration needs to be on board, or at least aware and not overly opposed.

*It’s the way occupations have been organizing outreach and are able to talk about it with people. It gives a chance for people to stop by at anytime. [speaker] has had multiple encounters with people at all hours wanting to discuss the movement and [speaker] will ‘occupy no matter what’

*There is a worry that an occupation on Clark would result in the ideas and purpose being lost in translation. Clark supports occupy Worcester entirely but students and other people wouldn’t necessarily know that, so if there was an occupation there would need to be a large effort to educate as to purpose and let people know that we weren’t protesting the university

*If there is a physical occupation there needs to be an outreach campaign prior

*[speaker] is very grateful that clark students welcome occupy Worcester people at all the Clark general assemblies. If there idea is to get more people involved then an occupation would be the way to do it. Someone will always be awake and willing to talk to anyone that comes by about the movement

*physical occupation is a good way to get people talking and make them aware and keep them thinking

*Clark’s open campus would be good a good place because people can come through all the time to bring discussion. It’s the best way to do outreach and get people involved

*Cowboy proposed having a logistics meeting

*if you want to do outreach you need to be there all the time

*There is a serious disconnect between Clark students and the OccupyClark group. Just the wording of the title of occupy clark makes people upset because they understand it as an occupation of the college and a protest against it. They ask ‘what did clark do to you’. They don’t understand that we aren’t occupy clark to protest the institution and that we are occupy in general to raise awareness.  We need to make sure people know what occupyclark is all about.

Stack closed

Please remember to send all notes from GA’s and working groups to occupyclark@gmail.com