Facilitators: Lily Chaleff and Leila Counihan

Stack: Spencer Mewherter

  • Check-in
  • Going over Consensus
  • Announcements
    • Occupy Worcester GAs every Thursday at 6:00pm and every Sunday at 1pm, Location varies
    • Saturday January 21, 2012 Worcester Free School – Worcester City Government 101 at Woo Church 1pm
    • Media Working Group After GA
    • Outreach/Activism Working group meeting Thursday 7:30 usually in the AC but this week at the community dinner at Moynihans
    • Series of Panels with local organizations in Worcester being organized by Peaceworks
    • Difficult Dialogues about Occupy coming up this semester

Agenda Points

  • Working groups
  • Panel
  • March 1st/ May 1st – Upcoming Events
  • Meeting Time

Working Groups

  • Anyone interested in the Media Working Group contact Lily Chaleff or Ross Glover
  • Activism/Outreach Working Groupcontact Leila Counihan
    • Has reached out to Epoca, Stonewall Democrats, Stone Soup, Worcester Routs, Worcester Time Trade, The Journalist
    • Meeting tomorrow at Community Dinner at Moynihans at 7:30
    • Discussion of working on a group newsletter
    • Proposal: Ailey will consult with members of The Citizen to see if theya re willing to join forces with Occupy Clark to make a newsletter PASSED
    • Possible Working Group for Outreach to start official Occupy Clark club, regular tabling and flyering
    • Proposal: Outreach Group will have consistent mic checks at Clark cafeteria at different times throughout day about information concerning Occupy Clark and Occupy Worcester’s meetings/events PASSED with Friendly Amendment Below

Friendly Amendment: Occupy Clark is its own outreach group so Occupy Clark will have consistent mic checks

  • Proposal: Create Occupy Clark official Clark undergraduate club [Ailey spearheading this]
  • Occupy Clark is a working group of Occupy Worcester

Panels

  • Possible panels with Epoca, Stone Soup, WAFT and AIDS Project Worcester and others to follow the format of previous arrested students panel
  • Open to suggestions of other organizations to include – contact Spencer Mewherter or Alina Michelewicz with other suggestions
  • May need advertising help in future and may involve Occupy on panels also
  • Discussion of focus of panels tabled for when there is more information

Upcoming Events

  • Occupy colleges put out the date of March 1st for actions
  • Possible connection with other schools
  • Idea for Spring Renewal Event

Time 9:50 –  Proposal to extend meeting by 20 minutes

  • Possible days for Spring Renewal: March 1st, May 1st
  • May Day may be problematic because of other planned events and near the end of the semester
  • March 17th because Spring break is over – also there is a big parade in Worcester
  • February 26th for earlier date
  • Possibility to do both march 17th and February 26th
  • Ideas:
    • Community event – college solidarity
    • Celebration of occupy, what Occupy has done
    • February on campus and March off campus
    • Food, visually interesting
    • Non-March festival with teach in and general info
    • Tents with free school
    • Proposal: reserve green for February 26th Friendly Amendment: reserve green for both days (Feb 26th and  March 17th) and look into parade route PASSED
    • Message for events – Discussion – At the end in a go around

Table Discussion about 9pm Wednesday meeting time

NEXT MEETING – WED 25TH 9PM IN THE AC

Check out with Discussion of event ideas:

  • Use events in Worcester – Remain visible
  • Consensus education
  • Specific message
  • Where are we going, big picture focus
  • Get more people, high schools?
  • Fun events Occupy Clark culture/community
  • Outreach concern, music/bands
  • Jess Loomis can help with visual aids
  • Increase visibility, fun events, not necessarily Occupy events, more casual
  • Community events and outreach, music, food
  • Celebration, not just logistics in meetings
  • Goals of group and goals for world and self in meetings

 

Advertisements

Media Working Group Notes 12/2/11

 

Things to get done

-List serve

-Make presence known at GA: who is media? Send us notes

-Flyers

-T&G worker wants us to notify him of every and any event

 

List of things we are in charge of

–       Update calendar events – Lily

(consented upon making calendar have Worcester events)

–       Events on facebook – Ross

–       Look into online forum to discuss what is occupy clark – Kelly

–       Twitter – Ross, Lily

–       Occupy Together phone conference – Kelly

–       List Serve

–       Post minutes on the blog

 

Decisions

Next meeting: Monday at 8

Table getting a list serve

Make presence at GA, tell people to send stuff to email

 

Next meeting:

-plan for winter break

– student information flyer

 

Other things

-EPOCA come talk at Clark

Announcements & Passed Proposals

*Occupy GA at Clark in RED SQUARE at 4pm on SATURDAY  12/3/11 following the Worcester GA on

-To discuss and come to CONSENSUS on a physical outdoor occupation at Clark to include everyone/all interested in occupying including Worcester Occupants

*WAFT Blockade TOMORROW at City Hall starting at 10:30am

The blockade is at 25 Balis Ave.

*Womens March in Boston—detail on OccupyClark page

*Worcester Occupation is being evicted from Lincoln Ave the morning of Monday 12/5/11

*NAACP March on Dec. 10th starting at AUSTIN & MAIN ST. in Worcester at 10am

Protest to recognize racially charged issues in Worcester. There will be a rally to follow the March

*Poster making at 4pm on Friday in the Craft Studio

*Occupy Christmas Carolers practice Tomorrow at 7pm or following the Worcester General Assembly

Details on facebook

*Occupy GAs to be held at 9pm on Wednesday’s until Winter Break (new meeting time to be discussed if necessary following the 9pm GA on 1/18/12 following Clark student’s return from winter break)

*Outreach Working group will meet at 9pm on Mondays from now on

*Activism and Outreach Working Group focusing on Environmental Sustainability, Social Justice and Minority issues and Gender issues

First meeting to be on Thursday 11/8 at 9pm in the UC Commuter Lounge

GA Assembly Agenda Points and Discussion

Working Group Stack

Proposal to have Sustainability and Social Justice working groups PASSED BY CONSENSUS

Working group decided after the meeting to be called the Activism and Outreach working group (see above for details)

Proposal to have Minority Outreach Working Group PASSED BY CONSENSUS

Group decided after the GA to be combined into Activism and Outreach (see above)

Announcement to look at posted code of conduct document on Occupy Worcester and give feedback

Stack Closed on Working Groups

Occupy Worcester on Clark Campus Stack

——the following were stated opinions during stack—–

(forgive the generalization and summarization of the following….i don’t write fast enough)

*A physical occupation is a great tactic for outreach, but we need to remember how much time and sacrifice it takes

*If there is a physical occupation on Clark campus, there needs to be serious attention given to logistics and especially cleaning, organization, and sanitation.

*There is a lot of talk about not having a physical occupation at all but [speaker] believes that it is a great way to have everyone together to take part in direct action. It is a constant place for idea sharing and conversation. It provides a good place for meetings and logistics support

*An occupation here might be good to bring support from the rest of the campus and get people involved more heavily. It might also allow people to have a place to get information on whats going on and why/what we are doing. Worry is that the administration needs to be on board, or at least aware and not overly opposed.

*It’s the way occupations have been organizing outreach and are able to talk about it with people. It gives a chance for people to stop by at anytime. [speaker] has had multiple encounters with people at all hours wanting to discuss the movement and [speaker] will ‘occupy no matter what’

*There is a worry that an occupation on Clark would result in the ideas and purpose being lost in translation. Clark supports occupy Worcester entirely but students and other people wouldn’t necessarily know that, so if there was an occupation there would need to be a large effort to educate as to purpose and let people know that we weren’t protesting the university

*If there is a physical occupation there needs to be an outreach campaign prior

*[speaker] is very grateful that clark students welcome occupy Worcester people at all the Clark general assemblies. If there idea is to get more people involved then an occupation would be the way to do it. Someone will always be awake and willing to talk to anyone that comes by about the movement

*physical occupation is a good way to get people talking and make them aware and keep them thinking

*Clark’s open campus would be good a good place because people can come through all the time to bring discussion. It’s the best way to do outreach and get people involved

*Cowboy proposed having a logistics meeting

*if you want to do outreach you need to be there all the time

*There is a serious disconnect between Clark students and the OccupyClark group. Just the wording of the title of occupy clark makes people upset because they understand it as an occupation of the college and a protest against it. They ask ‘what did clark do to you’. They don’t understand that we aren’t occupy clark to protest the institution and that we are occupy in general to raise awareness.  We need to make sure people know what occupyclark is all about.

Stack closed

Please remember to send all notes from GA’s and working groups to occupyclark@gmail.com